LIGO Document E050228-x0
- Hydroxide-catalysis bonding is the process by which a hydroxide, Na in our application, catalyzes the silica surface by hydration and dehydration.
This document describes the procedure to join two pieces of glass using this bonding technique referred to as “silicate bonding”.
Because the surfaces are required to be in close contact to bond, a flatness of λ/10 is required on the surfaces to maximize bond strength.
The surfaces must be free of particles, thus, the bonding must take place under a Class 100 laminar flow bench.
Operator must be dressed in clean room attire.
Frock, boots, head cover, facemask, and approved cleanroom gloves are required.
- Version E050228-v1 = E050228-00-D on the old DCC
Helena Armandula was the author of this version
- Full document number: LIGO-E050228-00-D
- Author(s): Helena Armandula
- Document date: 2005-09-16
- Document received date: 2006-04-18
- Document entry date: 2006-04-18
- Media: Photos
DCC Version 3.3.0, contact
Document Database Administrators